Plein Temps Tout?

Roughly translates as 'full time everything!' Leading such a busy life, like so many of us. It's easy to fall into the trap of convenience over quality. But ready meals, sauces in jars and processed food always tasted a bit naff to me. Now cooking from scratch is a big part of my home life and I'm always out to convert people who think they can't, for a number of reasons. I'm always inspired to try new ideas and flavours, and when things work I'll put them on here, alongside some classics of course!

Sunday 10 June 2012

Chinese-style Pork Loin


I just love char sui pork, this is a similar flavour just without the bright pink colour, possible msg and the takeway price tag!

This for my dad-in-law, Tony after I cooked it Friday night :) (told you I'd put it on here!)

Pork loin can look a bit unappetising before it's cooked, especially if you get a vacuum packed one from the supermarket. Alot of people are put off pork because they've eaten it when it's as dried up as an old boot, but give this a chance, it's good!

Easy and simple so I'm not even going to list the ingredients separately!

Put the pork loin in a roasting dish and add (roughly) a tablespoon of soy sauce,  and a splash of either cider, white wine or chicken stock (whatever you've got in the fridge) and sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of five-spice over the loin, also some powdered garlic if you have it (or just tuck some sliced garlic around the loin) and some star anise (if you don't have these don't worry)

Cover with foil and cook for half the time the loin needs to cook for (ask your butcher or read the packet) then remove the foil, turn the loin over, drizzle with 2 teaspoons (approx.) of honey, another sprinkle of 5 spice and soy sauce, and cook for the second half of the recommended cooking time.

Go for an all out chinese feel by slicing thinly and serving it with stir-fried vegetables cooked in a tasty sauce (try my spring onion and ginger sauce) and noodles or egg fried rice (click here for the recipe)


Feel free to experiement with different flavours (a bit of sweet chilli sauce if you like it hot) but this is a good base to work from, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Just made this tonight. I normally steer clear of pork as being too bland but my goodness...this cut and recipe is fabulous!!! Well done Abz...on my list of all time favourites as a quick and easy meal with HUGE taste....x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, especially if you've tried any of the recipe's! Would love to hear from you all :)